Creating Interval Structured Workouts with Fitdigits
Whether doing HIIT or long slow intervals (start slow then taper lol), interval-based exercise has been shown to help you define the best workout to meet your goals.
Fitdigits iCardio, iRunner, iBiker and iWalker with a Pro Plus upgrade gives you the ability to create and customize your workout definition, getting visual audio cues and coaching through the routines. When you have a plan, this is the place for you.
Create workouts based on heart rate or pace zones – ideally created by using one of our fitness assessments. Structured interval workouts based on heart rate are a popular feature, and tend to be more efficient and correct, but many plans are often specified in distance and pace, rather than heart rate.
Managing and Creating an Interval Structured Workout
Access your structured interval workouts:
- In the app, at the main screen, swipe to select the activity type you would like to create the intervals. Any activity – run, bike, walk, etc, can be chosen.
- Tap the activity options (gear) icon for that activity
- Tap Workout Routines
With the Pro Plus package, it comes with some stock routines, targeting different heart rate zones and outcomes, that make a good base for workouts.
Launch Routine: To launch a created routine, tap the routine name and tap Launch. Tap Edit Routine on that same screen if you want to edit it.
Edit Routine: Tap Edit in the top right of the screen. That will bring you to the creating / editing interval workout screen described below.
Creating or Editing Interval Structured Workouts
At the bottom of the list of workouts, you will see two different types of interval workouts that can be created with a variety of options. Traditional Time & Distance based, or Music based, which is a variance on time based intervals, where you can specify the length of the interval to also be the length of the song(s) you pick, to match the effort to the beat of your favorites.
Create a Heart Rate or Pace Interval Workout
- Tap Add at the bottom of the Workout Routines listing
- Tap Name and add a description of the intervals you are creating
- In the Zone Type, select BPM
- Set whether the interval will be measured by Time or Distance. If you chose to create a music based routine, it will prompt you for either a playlist or song, see below for more on Music routines.
- Select the Zone you would like to target for that segment
- To add more intervals for that series, or even add another series, repeat the above. Check out our Guide on designing fun, effective and interesting interval workouts for more on building fun and effective routines.
- Choose if you want to automatically start Recovery once the workout is complete, and / or to automatically End once complete.
- Tap Save in the upper right to save your changes.